Alden and Carson

Alden and Carson
Third Birthday

Monday, June 29, 2009

My Hospital Stay

So after a fabulous Father's Day last Sunday, I had a fine day at work on Monday and then on Tuesday morning, I went and had my blood pressure taken - it was really high. I went to see my doctor and was immediately admitted to Labor and Deliver for Preeclampsia symptoms. After several tests, it turned out that my platelet levels were really low and then my liver proteins were too high and they told us if it did not turn around they would have to deliver the babies right away. Needless to say, we were really scared!

So, they gave me steroid shots to help develop the babies' lungs for delivery and Magnesium Sulfate to help bring down the blood pressure and to stop seizures that might occur. What we learned from the Magnesium Sulfate is that it did not work well for me. I got pulmunary edema (fluid on my lungs) and was having a lot of trouble breathing without supplemental oxygen. Finally, on Sunday, the doctor pumped me full of a drug to help me flush out my system and today is the first day that I am finally feeling somewhat normal.

At this point, the fluid is really diminishing and hopefully I can make it to 34 weeks in here without having any of the above issues again. I will see the Dr. today at lunch and will try to update again after that. I know this is much more of an abbreviated version of what my mom has been sending out for updates, but wanted to just have something here.

Thank you so much to everyone for the calls and emails and offers to bring food, help with the nursery, etc. It really helps to know we are so loved as we've been going through all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment